This will be the last post for this website on blogger. Please join us at our new site, you will love it! And make sure to join the discussions in our Forum!
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
It will not be long now and the new page will be underway. Thought I would share with you guys a couple things about the new site that you may or may not like.
- The layout is really different. It is a pretty busy website with a lot of information on it, but is also made easy to navigate.
- There is a forum for everyone to post the pictures, videos, point of views, tips, and for sale items. If you would like you can post the pictures on the forum, or send them to us via e-mail for our Home Page and we may do a write up on you as well. This is all free, so please feel free to use it all the time! This forum is also made to post pictures directly from your computer without the use of photobucket, imageshack, or any other hosting website, so you should really like its ease of use.
- You will have to sign up for the Forum with a valid e-mail address and password... just like any other forum.
- We will be having a Big Buck Competition this year, and it is only limited to Wise County, Texas. Since this is it's first year, we are keeping it small and do not want to get in over our heads this year. If you would like to sign up, just wait a week and it will all be on the new site. $60/person and pays 3 places with a mount for 1st place, and deer processing for 2nd Place. Details next week.
- Share the site... the more people that come to the site and use the forum, the more we will all get out of the site, including some nice giveaways...
- Once the new site is up, we will not be posting to this site anymore. We will leave a last post to direct everyone to the new site in case they end up here.
- Here is a little preview I posted on our new Facebook Page, which is also something we added. If you like the Facebook Page (ad on top left), it will also keep you updated with the new site, let you know when contests are starting up, give you a chance at some giveaways, and keep you up to date with new posts :)
Monday, September 9, 2013
- Hog Cheese! Sounds strange right? Well I used it this weekend to see if it would attract this huge hog that has been terrorizing my deer! It is made of fermented peanuts and will make you sick just smelling it.See the brown spot... Hog Cheese! I could smell it while I was up top!
- Well you don't see me posting a picture of the beast do you? I watched 2 does and a fawn get close, sniff it, then run up wind like a bear was chasing them. Not making that mistake again!
- The hog came close, but not in bow range. I also had about 15 turkeys come grazing through my site... I did get a nice little panoramic pic while I was napping in my stand!Click to enlarge!
- The new GoPro works like a champ... I will post some video of the hunt later on today.
- With the new website about to launch I may want to get all of my material ready... I'm a little nervous, but think it will all be easy to use in less than a week.
- Here's a nice little article about Duck Hunting on a budget. For all you deer hunters than don't duck hunt, just wanted to let you know it is just as costly!
- After we get a couple sponsors on the new site we're going to have a nice little giveaway contest for everyone that signs up for the forum. It is a free forum, but we are also going to be offering a "Supporting Membership" and some other odd and end things...
- Of course we will have sign ups for the Wise County Hog Contest and the Turkey Contest on there as well, with the addition of the Big Buck Contest as well.
- And to all of you who didn't try my mojo set up for dove season... you missed out. Yesterday, we shot a mojo because the dove tried to land in the middle of them.
- Here's a nice dove recipe I think I may try after my next hunt!
Friday, September 6, 2013
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
And it's less than a month away!
- Looks like we are going to be hosting a big buck competition this year, but being the first year and the website being remade, it will probably only be for people hunting in Wise County only.
- Johnny over at Rut Country Taxidermy is an SCI certified scorer and will probably be the one to score them... I will post details about it later on!
- And yes, next year we will make it for Wise and surrounding counties, then hopefully to North Texas. This year it will be pretty straight forward, but next year the options will be open for different divisions...
- I just bought one of these... Pick Stick! If you dove, duck, or goose hunt, you must get one, you will not regret it! Video of it in action.
- TPWD had a media release about the rise of Geocaching (a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.) and after I read the article they had, I found a geocache without the use of a GPS device. It was a waterproof box with camo duct tape all over it to keep it hidden... Ironic!
- All it had was a stamp (like an ink stamp) and a journal to leave your own stamp on. There were people from Georgia, Colorado, and Virginia who had left there little mark in it.
- FYI - Here is what the format of the forum for the new website will look like. Hunting Washington When it is up and running I hope you guys will share it with all your hunting friends. We hope to even have a booth next year at Hunter's Extravaganza to help promote it, too.
Monday, September 2, 2013
- Opening day was a nice little starter for the season!
- Nothing better than getting your limit, bring home fresh killed dove, then marinating them for the rest of the day before cooking them that evening.
- They were fabulous!
- Echo, my lab, did excellent (Thank you Jason at Dark Timber Kennels)!
- Echo took off after a wounded dove about 50 yards away that was just hovering about 2 feet off the ground and caught him before he ever touched the ground.
- I hooked up the GoPro to him as well, but missed the best shot when he made that retrieve. I took it off him 5 minutes before... Bummer!
- And for those of you that use mojos, I hope you read my tip in an earlier post about placing them in a triangle pattern facing the center. It worked opening morning and I was the only one in my group to shoot limit... not bragging, just trying to give you guys some dove hunting love.
- Any bands guys?
- Send me some pics of your limits guys!
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
If someone would have shot that doe during bow season...
This never would have happened!
- Some situations just can't be avoided... luckily for us, we have cell phones with cameras and go pros to help record some of those situations!
- Never pee on an electric fence!
- This never gets old... race car vs. deer!
- Some of these are old, but I still get a laugh out of them... Animal Wins & Fails.
- I don't think I would want to corner a bull elk! Just my opinion, but they don't look too soft and cuddly!
- That's all I've got for now... New website should be up soon!
Monday, August 26, 2013
- I'm not a big fan of cows being let loose on my lease a month before bow season starts... time to get to fence building!
- TPWD has set the waterfowl regulations already. We can actually harvest 2 Canvasback a day, which is the first time that it has been legal to shoot 2 in over half a century.
- And they also have, in the making, an online course for the Texas Hunter's Safety Course. I sat in a class room for what felt like 48 hours to get mine done, now you can be done in 6 hours!
- Did anyone watch the "Aporkolypse" last night on Sportsman Channel? Pigman, Uncle Ted, and some others killed, what I thought they said, 455 hogs from a helicopter. My bucket list got a little longer last night...
- I think the people in the picture above over did their limit! Unless of course they are in South America where the dove are considered pests.
- I could always use a couch like this!
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Click on Picture to Enlarge
- As the flying mini ribeyes of the sky start to come into season, I'm sitting here wondering, where am I going to hunt...not good!
- I have a buddy out looking for land, but have had no success in finding any decent dove property.
- If I could hunt in downtown Decatur, or my back yard, I would! Every dove hunter sees more dove in town then they do closer to the country... for some reason that is just how it works.
- I also like to shoot and eat pigeons... they taste just as good (sorry if there is a pigeon racer in the crowd).
- Have you heard of the dove tree? Some swear by it but I will end this post with my best tip!
- Bag Limit for North Zone: 15 White Wing, Mourning, or White Tipped in the aggregate; to include no more than 2 White Tipped. I have never seen/shot/killed a white tipped dove!
- If you get a banded dove, don't for get to report it with the USGS or call 1-800-327-BAND
- Buy 3 mojos and place them in a triangle shaped pattern about 4 feet apart with each dove looking at the center of the triangle. It resembles how the dove land when going into a food source. Also it helps get the attention of dove that are a distance away in different directions.
No Closed Season & No Limit!
Mostly in South Texas
DO NOT SHOOT!
White Tipped Dove
But Only 2/Day!
Rock Dove / Feral Pigeon
No Closed Season & No Limit!
Monday, August 19, 2013
- This is my first time going and let me say... I will go back next year for sure! It was awesome! I saw so many new things and took care of a lot of our bow hunting clothes shopping while we were there.
- Of course, we grabbed a a couple cold ones before we started walking, which I couldn't believe they served there, but felt very patriotic after purchasing a large and thinking - I'm having a cold beer in the middle of a hunting show with guns everywhere... I love Texas!
- My wife and I saw a couple people we knew who had booths, The Little's from 9 Bar Ranch here in Decatur, Jeff Thomason from Predator Pursuit, and Michael Stark from S3 Deer Stands.
- We will have a booth next year to promote the new site! Along with my friend and guide buddy, Jason Craig with DTK Waterfowl and Dark Timber Kennels (we are splitting a booth).
- Since the site is finally being redone with the forum and all we have the opportunity to sell ad spaces and try and get the name out there for people to visit the site more... every little bit helps and everyone loves a free koozie!
- If you're going to Hunter's Extravaganza and are thinking of buying an ATV or Side by Side... don't go, you will buy one!
- Has anyone ever heard of Hartcraft Exchange? So far, I'm really impressed with there broadheads! We bought a Master Pak which included six ferrules and locking collars, twelve Trophy I blades, twelve Trophy II blades, twelve Thumper blades, twelve Lil Thumper blades, nine Lopper blades, two X-Tends, and one 9v 3LED flashlight. Here is a pic of the broadheads!
- Not only are they interchangeable with the blades, but the ferrules are extremely sharp and if they are damaged in any way, they will replace them at no charge! I can not wait to try the Lopper blades and try and cut off a turkey head because they are just plain scary looking! We will probably be doing a review on these as well!
- I came across a duck call company that I have been following for quite some time on Facebook called Toxic Calls. They are from Idaho and have an awesome design on there calls, but are a little different then most. Of course, I couldn't help but try one and then ultimately, make the purchase of a pink double read for my collection!
- We also purchased a new set of small Nikon Binocs, my wife some Scent Lok clothing and boots, a blood trail flashlight, and above all (drum roll please)....a Pico De Gallo Maker! You may be wondering why on earth they were selling them at a Hunter's Extravaganza Event, but let me tell you, they made a killing. Since we have had it for the last 2 days we have already made pico de gallo, ground up sausage, beat eggs, chopped veggies, and made more hot sauce. It is one of the most awesome things I have ever owned and I could not even begin to tell you what it is called, but it cost us $35. EDIT: I googled "Pico De Gallo Maker" and found it... the Kitchen Plus 3000!
- They had a Rattlesnake Pit! It made me a little nervous seeing a bunch of rattlesnakes, especially when the guys running it have there coolers, tables, and food all sitting in the pit with them walking around it like it's no big deal. My kids would have loved it, but the boy probably would have tried to stick his fingers into the fence...
- There were also plenty of booths rented by outfitters, and some of them were most impressive! 9 Bar's was probably one of my favorites, there were nice tables, displays, and mounts...even had a couple from my Taxi, Johnny at Rut Country! My wife even asked them if she could shoot a Moose with her bow at there place... she really wants to Moose hunt for some reason.
- If all else fails and you don't find anything you would like to buy, there are always stickers and free koozies everywhere to be found!
- I was a little dissapointed I didn't get to see Operation Game Thief's Wall of Shame! They took it to San Antonio and Houston, but for some reason left us here in North Texas out.
- I also never made it to check out the Deer Competition, and I even had a friend who had entered his 10 point from last year... turns out he got 2nd place in Division III for archery and missed 1st by 1/4 of an inch! They went by net score and his was 159 5/8 Gross with a net score of 145 2/8... the man who won had a gross score of 149 2/8 but won with a net of 145 4/8. Brian Loper, you still had a beast of a buck with 2nd Place, Congrats Bud (He was also there as part of the Prostaff of Cinnamon Creek Archery)!
- I can not wait till next year to see what all is new and hope to help this site get up and going a little more after the remodel, which shouldn't be but about another month or so... Let's do this!
Friday, August 16, 2013
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Some of the younger Chapman kids from Decatur took off to Colorado to do some fishing... They have caught a couple Trout (the bigger) and Brownies (the smaller) and even came 2 inches from catching a state record Brownie. I've never been river fishing, but this is making me think it may be time to give it a try...
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Monday, August 12, 2013
Friday, August 9, 2013
- Duck season does start at the same time as rifle season, so I thought a little duck info might not hurt anything...
- New waterfowl calls of 2013! Thanks to the Ducks Unlimited News Letter.
- And as I was looking through the 2013 new waterfowl calls from the link above, I saw these guys, Paleo River... now I don't know how they sound,but I sure would like to get one of their whistles, they are very nice looking!
- And of course DU has listed the new waterfowl guns of 2013, but I never thought an over and under would ever be on the list!
- And here is a complete 2013 Waterfowl Gear Guide you can look at that includes everything.
- And you might as well drill a well near your ponds here in North Texas because they are drying up fast!
Thursday, August 8, 2013
I mentioned in a post earlier this week or last week that I was having a new string put on my wife's bow and also having it "dipped". Well, here is the "After" shot of what all was done to the bow to make it this awesome.
- I took the bow on the left to Hank Morrow at Pyro Custom Bowstrings in Rhome, Texas to have a new black and pink string put on it to give the bow a little feminine look.
- While I was there he mentioned TexasHG.com (Texas Hydrographics), which is right next door to him, about having the riser dipped in carbon fiber. There are a lot of choices of designs to have dipped, even AR-15's, which range from solid colors to zombie designs with skulls and a lot of different shades of camo.
- It took a little time, but was well worth it and was like having a complete service done to the bow by just taking it to one place.
- The string cost $125, but also includes the break down of the bow (Which is how it has to be sent to Texas Hydrographics or is an extra $50 charge by them). The dipping of the riser was $75, which I couldn't be happier about! I believe he does a complete bow (riser & limbs) for $175, but am not too sure. Below are a couple of more pics.
- I don't think about it enough, but the drought here in North Texas is getting bad!
- For a lot of farmers, ranchers, hunters, and lake residents, it has affected them probably the most. TPWD has an article about agencies asking for Texans to share with them how the drought has affected there lives, along with pictures. Feel free to send them in.
- And there are 28 new game wardens going out into the field here in Texas. And one of them just happens to be from my hometown of Bridgeport, Texas.
- And yes, the picture above is from my house where my wife decided we should hang our bows. Yep, I'm a love dovey kind of guy I guess!?!
- It sure is slow posting these days, hopefully it will pick back up and the other person who owns half of this website will start posting some things soon.
- I figured out my GoPro... you have to charge the WiFi Remote while it is turned on.
- 2 Canvasbacks...seriously? Waterfowlers need to read this... they are calling it another Liberal season!
Monday, August 5, 2013
- It has happened!!! Jon Gabrio with Apex Advertising is starting to work on the reformation of this website to top notch! It will have a Forum, the blogs, photo gallery, and we will have merchandise! Check out Apex's website and see some other things they have done.
- We will also be looking for some Forum Moderators as well as some hunting bloggers and hunting video enthusiasts, but we will keep you updated on that soon, but feel free to send me an e-mail if you are interested or have some ideas.
- The wife's bow is done... and it is awesome! Once I pick it up I will post some before and after pictures. Now it is time for some new sights...
- Today is going to be a work day! Not the 9 to 5 kind of work day, but after work we are heading to the lease with a ladder, chainsaw, rope, and tree stand! I'm kind of nervous.
- Wife woke up Saturday morning and the first words out of her mouth were "Is my bow ready?". Are we as men supposed to just know these things when we wake up in the morning? Cause I get asked these things quite a bit and always have to answer "I'm not sure, but I will let you know if I hear something." and that ends the conversation.
- I didn't know that if you are trying to capture a snake of the side of a road on a right of way you have to have a reptile and amphibian stamp (bottom of page) on your hunting license... it's $10.
- I'm curious to see what new rules and regulations there are this year for waterfowl season. Something almost always changes. Last year, we could kill our limit in bluebills, but the year before I think we could only kill 2, and if you weren't careful, a bluebill looks a lot like a ringneck. DUCK ID IS IMPORTANT!
- I've never hunted big water for ducks! Ever!
- Ladies, ladies, ladies... October 5th is Ladies Day Out at participating Cabelas and hopefully Fort Worth is a part of it. "The outdoor industry is all about the ladies these days, including major outdoor retailer Cabela's. To celebrate the rapidly growing number of women pursuing the outdoors and shooting sports, some Cabela's stores are hosting Ladies Day Out on October 5. The event promotes women's outdoor apparel, camping gear, personal firearms and other equipment geared towards women. Classes taught by local experts will be offered free of charge. The first 100 women to check in at the retail store on Saturday will receive a commemorative gift, and all women can enjoy the shopping discounts and refreshments."
- When is Men's Day at Cabelas? Everyday maybe?
- You think that bird in the picture was having a rough day?
Walk it off buddy, it'll buff out!
Friday, August 2, 2013
- Best Archery Targets of 2013!
- 10 Great Compound Bows under $700
- I should probably just direct you to www.BowHuntingMag.com - That is where I'm getting most of these articles!
- I really need one of these cases, actually, any case would do at this point!
- New Best Bows of 2013! Field & Stream
- Thanks to Cinnamon Creek Ranch in Roanoke, we have a list of Archery Shooting Events here in Texas if anyone is interested... my wife is ready, she won't stop griping at me saying "Where's my Bow?" or "Is it ready yet?" or "Why did you take my bow?" or even "I'm going to hide your bow because mine isn't here and it's just not fair that you get to shoot yours and I don't get to shoot mine!" <--- she might not have said that last quote, but I have a feeling its coming next.
- And I had to add this article from Field & Stream, it cracks me up just reading the headline.
- I've posted this before and it may be a good buy. Pre-loaded scent arrow tips and a tip that shoots a bullet! Sounds crazy, but Rac-Em-Bac has come up with something that is very unique!
- And to ends things on a crazy note... If you ever attempt to shoot an apple off someones head, watch this before being at the end where the apple sits. Russia's Got Talent!
- One awesome bow hunter HERE and I love his videos! Even bought my wife and I a shirt!
Thursday, August 1, 2013
- No news is good news right... not on this website!
- There sure are alot of giveaways on Facebook. I can say they actually do give things away and it is not a scam because I have won 2 things. I have just noticed how many more people are actually participating in these hunting surprise giveaways making it almost impossible to win... I'm really beat down by this, I like to win, but don't we all!
- Got the GoPro in! The wifi remote will not charge at all and it is really frustrating. I think I'm going to send it back to GoPro and have them send another one. From what I understand there are a lot of remotes doing this and should be recalled...not a good!
- Hunter's Extravaganza is coming up August 16-18 at Will Rogers Center in Fort Worth - write that down!
- I just bought another one of these for my wife, she really wants to be in a tree and not a ground blind, which is perfectly fine by me... if you are a bow hunter and like to hang from a tree and don't have one, you are really missing out!
- She is more excited about bow hunting this year then I am! Her bow is in the shop and I'm a little nervous she might try and hide mine so I can't shoot it... she's a little jealous! I'm going to get her on a hog here in the next couple of weeks just to get her feet wet!
- Here are some new broadheads I just purchased that are a fairly new product. Toxic Broadheads. They look pretty intense and think I may shoot video of my wife killing a hog with them so we can get a good look at the entry wound, which is supposed to be massive compared to other broadheads. Video comparison here!
- If you shoot a fixed blade, here is a great article and video of about 14 different fixed blades and how the do against sheet metal. The new Toxic blades did very well. Fixed Blades vs. Sheet Metal
- Ducks Unlimited Banquet - Saturday - Decatur Civic Center - 6:30 p.m. - Write that down!
- Get it...
Sunday, July 28, 2013
- Wise County's Annual Ducks Unlimited Banquet is August 3rd - just a reminder. This year it will be at the Decatur Civic Center, which means it is moving up in the world.
- I think they are expecting me to take over this event next year, but I am too busy to even think about trying to organize such an event. But I did receive a call from, who I think is, the North Texas DU Chapter President saying thanks for all the hard work I've done for DU... which was nice, but there is no way I can organize an event like this with my time schedule.
- Do you like the timer to the right of the screen... countdown till bow season, and it is kind of depressing since it is over 60 days away.
- Speaking of ducks, we can now harvest 6 teal during teal season. I think last year it was 4 or 5...I didn't hunt teal season, so I wouldn't know.
- I had no idea it was even illegal in some counties to have your dog trail a wounded deer. Now they are making it legal in at least 12 more counties, possibly.
- I couldn't help it and bought a new toy!
- My wife and I have been shooting our bows quite a bit and have had some friends invite us to do a little ASA competition shooting. We may do it!
- Her bow is at Hank Morrow's shop, who owns Pyro Custom Bow Strings, getting a nice black and pink string put on. He was nice enough to refer us to Texas Hydrographics, which is next door to him, and have them hydrodip her riser in carbon fiber. Really nice guy to go above and beyond for us... and I have only heard great things about his strings!
- Check my game cameras... got a couple nice ones, but nothing like the one above that was sent to me by a faithful reader.
- I have a feeling my wife will kill a deer with her bow this year before I do! Good for her!
Thursday, July 25, 2013
I was having a conversation with a friend last night when he began telling me that TPWD is on his property banding dove. By the sound of it, it isn't that easy to trap dove, but they have managed to trap some white wing and morning/mourning dove. He was kind enough to send me some picture of the process.