Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Dove Season Approaches

Click on Picture to Enlarge

  • As the flying mini ribeyes of the sky start to come into season, I'm sitting here wondering, where am I going to hunt...not good!
  • I have a buddy out looking for land, but have had no success in finding any decent dove property.
  • If I could hunt in downtown Decatur, or my back yard, I would! Every dove hunter sees more dove in town then they do closer to the country... for some reason that is just how it works.
  • I also like to shoot and eat pigeons... they taste just as good (sorry if there is a pigeon racer in the crowd).
  • Have you heard of the dove tree? Some swear by it but I will end this post with my best tip!
  • Bag Limit for North Zone:  15 White Wing, Mourning, or White Tipped in the aggregate; to include no more than 2 White Tipped.  I have never seen/shot/killed a white tipped dove! 
  • If you get a banded dove, don't for get to report it with the USGS or call 1-800-327-BAND
TIP:
  • Buy 3 mojos and place them in a triangle shaped pattern about 4 feet apart with each dove looking at the center of the triangle.  It resembles how the dove land when going into a food source.  Also it helps get the attention of dove that are a distance away in different directions.  
DOVE SPECIES:
Eurasian Dove
SHOOT EM!
No Closed Season & No Limit!

Inca Dove
Mostly in South Texas
DO NOT SHOOT!

Mourning Dove
SHOOT EM!

White Wing
SHOOT EM!

White Tipped Dove
SHOOT EM! 
But Only 2/Day!

Rock Dove / Feral Pigeon
SHOOT EM!
No Closed Season & No Limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment