Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Falcon Vs. Snake

READ STORY TO UNDERSTAND PICTURES

This has to be the weirdest thing that ever floated by me in the river.

They were stuck together in death lock, each wanting to kill the other first.

My guess is that the falcon snatched up the tasty snake, and it somehow got its tail around the falcons neck, strangling it in midair causing both of them to crash into the comal river. They are both alive and well, considering.

I think a few more minutes and the snake would have won. The tail was actually tied in a knot around the neck, and getting tighter by the second. I got the snake untied, and well, as you can see, they both made it.

This is another one of those stories you tell, and are always acknowledged with "yeah, right!" Well, heres the proof.

Neither of them bit me or scratched me, the snake didnt want to stop biting the falcons leg, and only let go after I had untied everything else.

I got the water out of the falcons lungs with birdie inversion technique, and stayed with him until he was almost dried off in the sun, and flying a little. Ball of snake and falcon, that is the weirdest thing I have pulled out of the water so far, it beats the wagon wheel! 
 








Credit: Rick James

8 comments:

  1. I do so love a good fight... nature is brutal, as well as inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody has a story to tell after that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The falcon "knew it was a snake when it picked it up"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's truely amazing. Good on you for taking the time to deal with it.

    Jim Gaar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so tell me who really saw this? You, the blogger; or the Australian who claims it happened to him? http://acidcow.com/pics/28142-what-an-amazing-story-falcon-vs-snake-8-pics.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was sent to me in an e-mail... that's why it has "Credit: Rick James" at the bottom of it. It dang sure wasn't Australia because that is a Rat snake and a hawk native to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the e-mail versions circulating has been altered. It gives the location as "Snake River", so many people have been assuming this was taken in Idaho. Assuming the date stamp is right, this couldn't be Idaho since it would be near sunset and temp would be near freezing during the middle of November. The raptor appears to be a juvenile red-shouldered hawk, and neither it nor the Texas rat snake occur in Idaho.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to bring it up,,, it's a long way from a Falcon.... it's an immature Redtail....

    ReplyDelete